About The Retail Ombudsman
The Retail Ombudsman (TRO) is an independent, not-for-profit, government approved organisation, authorised by: Chartered Trading Standards Institute, the Civil Aviation Authority and Ofcom, pursuant to The Alternative Dispute Resolution for Consumer Disputes (Competent Authority and Information) Regulations 2015.
TRO is a full member of Ombudsman Association (OA).
Purpose and scope:
The main purpose of TRO scheme is:
a) The receipt and handling of unresolved disputes that fall within jurisdiction as defined within these Scheme Rules (“Complaints”), in relation to companies that are a member of TRO (“Members”);
b) The resolution, settlement and/or withdrawal of Complaints or disputes between Members and any of their customers;
c) Where appropriate, to administer remedies and provide redress in relation to Complaints between Members and their customers;
d) Where appropriate to make recommendations to Members about their policies, procedures or the provision of services.
TRO is set up as a limited by guarantee company and has three parts to its structure:
a. TRO Office (administration and Complaint handlers)
b. The Office of the Ombudsman
c. TRO Standards Board
Complaints start and finish with the Ombudsman. In his Decisions, he is impartial and independent of TRO Office, TRO Standards Board and all outside influences.
Our independent status is at the heart of everything that we do, as is our commitment to openness, honesty and integrity and we recognise the importance of this to everyone that relies on our services.
Independent Standards Board (“Board”)
- To help preserve our independence and provide an invaluable set of checks and balances on our work, The Board acts to regulate how we operate. All board members share our vision of inspiring complainant confidence and raising industry standards and do so on a voluntary basis.
- The Board regularly reviews a cross section of our adjudications, to ensure they are both fair and reasonable. It also oversees our rules, practices and procedures.
- The Board is governed by the Board Constitution.
Disputes we deal with
We deal with disputes in the following sectors:
We have three office locations:
- Glasgow: this is where our membership team operates from.
- London: this is our registered office where some of our administration functions take place
- Milton Keynes: this is our Head office and is where all complaint handlers and ombudsman are located.
[responsivevoice_button voice=”UK English Female” buttontext=”Listen to Page”]